6/09/2006

Newport Film Festival


Nothing says it’s summer in Newport like the Newport International Film Festival. I call it by its full name here, but for the RI natives, and dedicated Newport filmophiles around 02840, its much better known as the Film Fest.

This year, I was late in getting my volunteer program up-to-speed. But, as expected, the general chaos of NIFF affairs and the great dearth of local, readily available help easily ingratiated me.

Last year, I was stuck at the Box Office moving boxes and putting up posters until I realized that I could practically walk into a film with a volunteer shirt on. That inspired me to spontaneously ‘volunteer’ at the Newport Art Museum screen, and vis-à-vis get to see Stolen, THE hot film of 2005.

This year, I have been stationed at Oprea House, which is generally preferable to any other venues because it offers three films in one location. Teamed up with my brother, I have balloted, ushered, assisted with video calibration and chatted up actors, writers and filmmakers alike. There truly is nothing like the Film Festival to start the Newport summer in proper cultural style.

No comments: